Saturday, December 4, 2010

Keeping the Days: The Orchid Shamans



orchid shaman

The Orchid Shamans
Phipps Conservatory, Pittsburgh, PA


As the days grow darker and the winds grow bitter here in Pittsburgh, one of my favorite ways of coping is to retreat to the Phipps Conservatory and Greenhouse to meander through their rooms of lush greens and radiant blossoms. The orchid room, especially, always fascinates me. I imagine each orchid could be a shaman from some strange, exotic tribe, wild feathers and fringe and face paint, flinging their arms open to some unheard drumbeat pulsing in the roots. If I were a shaman, I think I'd want to be a shaman of the orchids.



orchid shaman orchid shaman

orchid shaman

orchid shaman

orchid shaman

orchid shaman

orchid shaman




Same Time Tomorrow Donation Drive
Did you enjoy this post? If so, please consider donating to support the blog!
Click the pig for details.

1 comment:

  1. How interesting to see your blog..! Yes, a shaman of the orchids... lovely notion. Perhaps you would find my book about the healing qualities of orchids of some interest..? The book is called "Orchid Essence Healing" and it is available in the US from Amazon. I think you would enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete